Items posted on the main page are available for purchase unless otherwise indicated. If you'd like to purchase an item shown, send me a message indicating which country you live in and I'll quote you a shipping price. All payments are processed through Paypal only. If you're looking for a custom item, let me know the specifics and I'll quote you a total price. Custom items typically take 6 weeks to produce after payment is received. Keep this in mind when asking for custom orders.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Remembering Those Serger Settings

New fabrics are always fun to work with. I love to bring home a new fabric. The first thing I do is find that perfect serger setting and serge all the raw edges. This is an important step before washing the fabric since it helps prevent the edges from fraying. Then, I'm ready to use the fabric for whatever project is necessary.

But the second time I buy this fabric, I just want to get down to business. I don't want to spend maybe 15 minutes finding the perfect serger setting. I just want to serge the edges and wash the fabric. The problem is each fabric has a unique serger setting. So I've developed a little method to help me keep track of the many different settings I have to use. I record that perfect setting and write in on a sticker. Then I take that sticker and stick it firmly on a small scrap of fabric. Now, when I begin a project, I know exactly what setting that fabric needs. The problems are solved and my sewing projects are completed with less aggravation and far more speed.